Sunday, August 21, 2011

I feel lucky.

Retail is a challenging place to work. Wearing a smile is not always easy. I know what you are thinking... You're thinking that this entry is going to be about how hard my job is and how much of a whiner I am... "WOE is me," right?
But that's not what I am talking about. This entry is about people that make me smile. Of people who help me remember to smile. Of people who make smiling for a living fun. Of which there are many in my life. I feel lucky.


Why do I bring up retail, then? Why, to accentuate the reasons why people who make me smile are appreciated. Customers are not always nice. Sales-focused bosses are definitively not always nice. The work is sometimes dirty and labor intensive. But people who make me smile can make the difference!
You take those smiles where you can!


What's wrong with a smile at the workplace? The place a person works - the place where a person spends 40 or more hours a week - the place where their stress lives and breathes?


In my own case, I have lots of other smile sources. At home, I have my Frank. Buddy. Maddie.

All great reasons to smile.

Sometimes I just need to be reminded of that.

(More smiles to come, I'm just out of time - must head off to work!)

2 comments: