Sunday, September 4, 2011

Am I a Geek?

Am I a geek because David Tennant and Seven of Nine make my Top 10 Laminated "List?" Am I a geek because my most common companions are a netbook and an iPhone? Am I a geek because the "SyFy channel" seems misspelled to me?

If I were a real geek, I'd be down at DragonCon. As it is, I'm just furious with myself for not going.
If I were a real geek, I'd own a copy of "Forbidden Tales of Robot Lust," instead of sneaking it out of my dad's sock drawer and reading it with my own sock ready.
If I were a real geek I'd know Seven of Nine's real name without looking it up and that Spock had a real name (Zachary Quinto) and not "that guy from Heroes."

Alas! Sometimes I fear I am a fake geek. I have no inhibition when it comes to being naked, I am bored with the selection at the Shack, and horror of horrors, I took a picture of myself with Justin Bieber's cutout once in a Wal-Mart.

Okay, maybe that last bit doesn't necessarily disqualify me.
In my defense, I do own every Harry Potter book, including a very special edition of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard," which includes a set of special edition prints, a purple velvet bag and a very special box that makes it look like a hardbound library book - well-worn, yet lovingly handled...

I like (and own) The World of Warcraft, Destroy All Humans, and once I beat every level of Super Mario Bros.

I grew up believing in Narnia, had a childhood crush on Anthony Michael Hall circa Weird Science, and believing there was something wrong with how I looked as an altar boy because that freakin' priest never touched me once!

All seriousness aside, though, I truly feel I missed the boat somewhere, some days. There are no I.T. Certificates on my wall, no technical college certifications bragging about my continuing education, and the most technical book on my shelf is the Sixth Edition of Stage Management by Lawrence Stern. Oh wait, what's this on my bookshelf? A three-ring binder whose spine says "Computer Sciences Corporation?" What's this? Open it up, and it's... um... a heavily annotated script from Little Shop of Horrors....

(sigh)

My geekdom is safe... and good thing, too, because Christopher Gorham and I have a hot date tonight and he's gonna make me Popular!






2 comments:

  1. And what is wrong with being a geek? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I too like to read books a lot even though I'm 13.
    People do call me nerd but I'n not a loner.

    ReplyDelete