Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Childhood Entertainment

Morning! Would you believe how time flies - it's already almost time for cooler temperatures and extra layers and backyard grilling - in temperatures we can actually bear!

I was thinking about what to write this morning, as I have not kept my promise to myself of keeping a daily writing habit. As I was browsing through Facebook, Frank posted on my wall a picture of a childhood toy with the caption, "Remember what we did for fun before the internet?"
Ah, yes, I remember the Waterfuls. There were several different games, and I distinctly remember breaking them. The water always smelled foul, and the damned things were useless with no water in them! But more than those Waterfuls, I remember a similar item that was filled with colored oil and water, the perfect distraction when there was nothing to do at grandma's house.
There were some where you could control the size of the oil droplets, I think, and I remember spending hours marveling at these devices.

Pre-internet toys, also known as pre-ADD toys, were designed to keep us busy. For me, personally, I was the kid who "always had his nose in a book." CS Lewis' Chronicles Of Narnia; Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy; Garfield, MAD, DC and Marvel Comics (and, um, those Archie comics, too); Ann McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books; and I can't forget the Piers Anthony Xanth books - oh, I'm sure there were many many more books than I could name here! I don't know how many kids these days read actual books, what with e-readers and tablets and the internet and video games and all the other distractions that come with the modern ADD-era. But my childhood was filled with dragons and magicians and superheroes and villains!

One of my favorite toys (that wasn't a book) was the Radio Shack 150-In-One Electronic Project Kit.

Ooops, almost out of time... But I have to mention the biggest, bestest toy I ever got: The Big Wheel! It was a birthday gift, and it was a Big Surprise - I don't know how my parents managed to hide it from me, or get it in the house, even - but I remember them hiding it in the kitchen back by the scary water heater, and that was an awesome present! I rode that thing all the time!





No comments:

Post a Comment