Friday, August 10, 2012

Cause, And My Effect.

Everyday I wish I could do more for my community, and less for my self. I wish, I wish, I wish.
I have a friend who donates his time delivering condoms to places of business for free distribution to those who need them, in the interest of safe sex and the prevention of STDs.
I have another friend who spears up GLBT awareness programs including an annual Pride Event.
Yet another friend donates his formidable floral talent to an organization that raises money for AIDS awareness, assistance and Support.
I have another friend who provides musical talent to a hospital that believes children's healing can be facilitated through song and music therapy.
What do I do?
I work.
Ugh.
When will my life create positive impact for other people?
Truth is, I work two jobs, come home exhausted, conk out early, and do it all again the next day.
I could donate time in the evenings to a charitable cause. But I don't.
Why not? Am I lazy? Am I disinterested in making the world a better place?
No.
I am interested, I am not lazy.
But I do lack inspiration.
What causes are out there that need my support? My help, my talents, my time?
Anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you are not being entirely fair to yourself. You DO make a difference. You make a difference by setting the example of living a good and decent life. And don't fool yourself, because you DO inspire people. When I met you a few weeks ago, I felt guilty for not doing what YOU have done - for not being entirely out and up front, for not standing in front of the world and saying "Hey, this is me, and I aint so bad!"
    We all do what we can within the means that we have available.
    If you want to live, you must work, and I wouldn't be ashamed that this takes priority over charity.

    ReplyDelete