Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chick-Fil-A

While I personally will not support this business, I respect and support their right to run their business as they see fit. There is a term bandied about, that word, "christian," that implies love and compassion, and yet daily I see it abused in reference to people who do not exemplify it. Chick-Fil-A and its leaders hardly exemplify the word, when they choose to financially back hate groups that seek to demonize people like me. So Chick-Fil-A will not get my business, and I despise their brand of "christian," but I respect their right to operate their business and attract their own brand of so-called "christians."
There has been recent Facebook chatter about a "National Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick Fil A." Initially, I thought, "hell yeah, we should do that!" But after some thought and conversation with my husband, I find myself worried that the wisdom of this "National Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick Fil A" is flawed.
Several scenarios come to mind. A hot topic like this draws media - and the media cameras catch the horrified look of a poor mother sitting in the restaurant with her young children as gays kiss and she tries desperately to shield those kids eyes from it. The media interviews her on her reactions. Then the right-wingers and hate-filled-christians exploit the interview into soundbites and propaganda.
Or, god forbid, a protective father decides to defend his beliefs and his children from such sights as gays kissing by a vicious attack on those gays in that Chick-Fil-A, and a hate crime ensues.
My husband said, "I don't like the idea of using an expression of love to shock people." My husband is a smart man. We don't need to flaunt it, we don't need to sensationalize it. 
What we need is a national-scale boycott of the business, in which no gay, lesbian or gay/lesbian friendly individual or group does business with Chick-Fil-A. What we need is for corporate partners currently doing business with Chick-Fil-A to sever that partnership, like "The Muppets" have done. 
Whether or not Chick-Fil-A feels the impact of said boycott depends on the scale of that boycott - but our dollars could not be better not-spent. Or perhaps, invested instead in supporting a business that has positive policies regarding gays and lesbians. What more powerful statement could we as a community make than to build up and support a business that gives back to our community?
We can be vocal about our distaste with the business practices of Chick-Fil-A, and perhaps make a difference with regards to their evolution. But lets not forget to support the businesses that DO give their support to our community - and focus our energies (and money) there.

No comments:

Post a Comment