Saturday, July 7, 2012

Art

In this entry, I'm exploring ideas on how Art affects our culture, our business and our lives.

Art is a cultural record.

The Arts serve as the primary signature of a culture, carrying our individual and collective images and ideas from one generation to another. The arts are a distinctive way of understanding and give purpose to learning: they provide tools for interpreting life’s experiences and develop a child’s identity and sense of self-worth. 


The word "Art" encompasses so much. 

“In my own philanthropy and business endeavors, I have seen the critical role that the arts play in stimulating creativity and in developing vital communities….the arts have a crucial impact on our economy and are an important catalyst for learning, discovery, and achievement in our country.”
Paul G. Allen, Co-Founder, Microsoft

The "Arts" mean so little to some people.
The Arts Commission is essentially shut down in South Carolina.

Haley's vetoes cut 2 S.C. agencies

People who are employed at that agency have actually been instructed NOT to report for work on Monday. Real jobs are being affected.  Real people. Real art.  Real income.


Art is education.



The Arts Commission isn't the only potential casualty here: Jamie Harrington, who teaches Youth Classes at Town Theatre, and who's classes are in part funded by the State of South Carolina, may lose that funding as a result of this action.  Again, it's more than just Art we're talking here.  Harrington says, (Parents) "come to me and say 'You have no idea how much your program has helped my child. . . .' as they go on to explain how their child is shy, won't speak, is not accepted by their peers, etc. And I do see it. I see how little kids who are afraid to speak on day one, will stand up in front of over 300 people and say their lines with confidence when Town Theatre presents it's show at the end of the program. I see how children with Autism can excel and do well. It is a creative outlet that helps in every other aspect of their lives."



“Arts education aids students in skills needed in the workplace: flexibility, the ability to solve problems and communicate, the ability to learn new skills, to be creative and innovative, and to strive for excellence.”
– Joseph M. Calahan, Director of Cooperate Communications, Xerox Corporation





What has the "Arts" meant to me?


I have been involved in community theatre since 2006. The Arts have created a unique extended family for me. People who love me and accept me, people who respect my contributions, people who also respect my fears and dreams, and occasionally even my vision.
Theatre has been a joy, a source of stress, fun, full of emotion, stimulating...



“An elementary school that treats the arts as the province of a few gifted children, or views them only as recreation and entertainment, is a school that needs an infusion of soul. That arts are an essential element of education, just like reading, writing, and arithmetic.”
William Bennett, Former US Secretary of Education

No comments:

Post a Comment