Tuesday, June 25, 2013

In which I hire a staff of gay waiters to wait upon me "hand-and-foot."

In a preemptive strike, I'm going to publicly admit that I have used the words "gay," "homosexual," and maybe even "faggot" in my lifetime. Also, I have even considered hiring an all gay staff of waiters to serve me food and decorate my house.  I'm going to admit all this now, because I'm fully aware that someday some lawyer may ask me some questions relating to my use of those words and my contract with the Food Network may come under scrutiny. Oh, and also, some television news networks may become interested in reporting on it.

Ironically, Paula Deen should have followed my lead - because if you say you're sorry BEFORE you are caught for something, Mrs Deen, then people are more forgiving for it.

The way you are playing this out, Mrs. Deen, it sounds like you are apologizing only because you got caught.

Because it sure sounds as if you never took any real, tangible steps to create a pleasant working environment  for those beneath you.

In other words, your apology rings shallow, Mrs. Deen.

My apology, on the other hand, is sincere. I have used all three words ("gay," "homosexual," and maybe even "faggot") to describe myself. Occasionally, I even call my friends "gay" or "homosexual."  But please don't take it out-of-context and use it against me. I actually AM gay, I actually am homosexual, and when I first struggled with being gay, I may have called myself a faggot or two. Many of my friends are, in fact, "gay" or "homosexual." I don't refer to them as "faggot," because I know the difference. And what gay man wouldn't want a staff of gay men in their life?

But see, words like  "gay," "homosexual," and "faggot" often are used to target a minority group in a derogatory fashion, and "I can, myself, determine what offends another person." I am, in fact, aware that some usage of these words are insensitive, so I don't use them in a derogatory fashion. I have even asked other people around me not to use those words in a derogatory fashion. I find the word "faggot," in particular, to be "mean," and I am sensitive to the fact that there are many other derogatory words that are "mean" to my minority group. I make sure people know how I feel about such words, and openly discourage jokes and innuendos that cause harm to my minority group. Furthermore, even though I am not of African-American heritage, I can plainly see that the "N Word" is harmful to a minority group and I don't use it. I have even asked other people around me not to use that word. In fact, I don't believe it is possible to use the "N Word" in any way that would be other-than derogatory, so I fail to see how you could make a statement like "I can't, myself, determine what offends another person," with regard to the use of that word, or with regard to racist jokes.

You see, Mrs Deen, you just can't simply turn a blind eye to how the people in your organization are being made to feel. If you were truly sensitive to the use of the "N Word" and the attitudes it conveys, you should have created policies and made statements and developed procedures for making your organization a friendly work environment. BEFORE the media attention, and your own Food Network's attention, forced you to. If you were truly sensitive to discrimination to members of minority groups then you would not have a discrimination case against your company in the court system.

I am a forgiving person, and I believe you have a lesson to be learned here, Mrs. Deen. The lesson is simply this: slap your brother and yourself upside the head (hard) for being insensitive to minority groups, offer proper compensation to the individual or individuals that were discriminated against in your restaurant, and use the publicity to make positive affirming statements about the minority group(s) - instead of taking a defensive, falsely innocent stance for yourself.

Oh, and, Three Cheers to the Food Network - hip-hip-hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I just think everyone is derailed by the "N Word," which in this case turns out to be a device by the media - one designed to sell headlines. The real issue, the one being smoothed over, is that her company actions are racist by omission - she is getting sued for discrimination because her company has no policies or procedures in place for effectively dealing with work-place discrimination. Her own (past) attitudes display an insensitivity to the issue, and explains why she has had to defend herself on the issue several times over the course of her public career.

    ReplyDelete