Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Identity

Do you know any transgendered people?
(I'm listening to your answer, but I don't think you are listening to the question.)
Do you KNOW any transgendered people?
(What's the difference, you ask, between my two questions?)
Let me phrase it this way: Do you openly and genuinely associate on a personal basis with a Transgendered person?
(I do.)
I have more-than-one family member who is transgendered.
(I'm trying to protect their anonymity by being vague about their identity.)
I have several acquaintances who are transgendered.
In all cases, my associations with these people increased my awareness and compassion for the issues they experienced and are still experiencing.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook, and since he posted it publicly, I shall quote him fairly and in its entirety (the link he refers to is immediately following):

"I'm all for equal rights for everyone, but this perplexes me. Not being insensitive, but I find it hard to believe that a six-year old has the sophistication of thought to culturally identify as transgendered. Would it not be kinder in the long run to tell the child "No, you're a boy. You have these body parts, and that means you use the boy's bathroom" than to foist this level of publicity and attention (some of it sure to be negative) on a first-grader?
This calls several levels of ethical consideration into debate...when does allowing your child to "be who he/she is" actually cause more damage than forcing the child to conform to societal norms? Children are not allowed to drink, drive cars, enter into contracts, engage in sexual behavior, or any number of other things that adults do because they (children) do not possess the knowledge or emotional maturity to make informed decisions. 
This particular case also begs the question of whether the other children in the school are being treated fairly. Does exposing them to the concept of transgenderism at such an early age force them to process issues which they are not yet culturally or psychologically prepared to fully comprehend?
Ultimately, I hope that Coy grows up to be a happy, well-adjusted adult, living whatever lifestyle he/she chooses. I also hope becoming an iconic figure as a first-grader doesn't lead to pressures that make that more difficult." 

Transgender Girl Wins Right to Use Bathroom at Public School


My friend's post surprised me, because he in fact IS probably one of the most open-minded straight people I know, and I truly enjoy his company, friendship, and insights. I also know he won't mind me tackling the issue on my blog, with due respect to him, of course. But his post reveals a conformist tendency that we all fall victim to from time to time. The "don't rock the boat" idea that manifests in the fear that the child might be harmed by the very act of defending that child's rights and identity.

I responded to his post on Facebook with a quick answer, one that I didn't spend a lot of time on, just my gut reaction to his post.

"obviously the child *IS* sophisticated enough to express it, and therefore does deserve to have attention paid to the issue. No one should have their identity forced upon them AT ANY AGE. Three cheers to the child's parents who were actually listening to their child! (If she can think it or feel it, it's real enough to be an issue)"

Too often we think, as evidenced by my friend's post, that children are not aware of their identity. That they need development and maturity to know who they are. That they are too young to understand. But identity starts forming at birth. It begins with family and environment. It succumbs to society and marketing within days, beginning with how the parents view their child (as a boy, as a girl, as a race, as a culture), because, you see, the parents decide how to dress the child, how the child will told to believe, who they will associate with, what toys they will play with, etc. So the parents decisions are shaping the identity of the child - without input from the child.

So the child emerges into self-awareness with much of his or her identity predetermined by how their parents perceived them - and now has to overcome any dissonant components, sometimes with great difficulty. A parent doesn't have anything to go on, at first, EXCEPT genitalia. So being a "boy," or being a "girl," can ONLY begin with what genitalia the child has initially. And upon this the parents start forming the child.

Identity is everything to a person. Dig deep into your own psyche and try to tell me that isn't true. When I think of WHO I am, my first thought is that I am a man - but I am not a penis (nor the color blue or a tonka truck or a cigar or a mustache). I am gay - but I am not sex (or top or bottom). I am emotional - but I am not any specific emotion. I am a member of a family, a member of a community, a member of a minority group, a citizen of a city, a citizen of a state, a citizen of a country. I could go on and on about all the things I am - but the point is, my identity is not tied to the visible, but instead, to the invisible. I am feelings, I am thoughts, I am self-aware...  etc. etc. etc.

And yet, so often, I hear gay people say things like, "I knew I was different (at a young age), I just wasn't sure what it was." My transgendered friends say that they "knew" when they were very young (this child's age), but didn't have definitions or specifics of what it is that they "knew." The theme keeps emerging in coming-out-story after coming-out-story after coming-out-story. Not just gay people, but bisexual people and transgendered people, too. I would like to offer the notion that the reason why they "don't know what it was" is because parents, and society, don't give them all the information, thinking that we have to shield them from such things.

I like this article because it means the parents were listening. They were listening when the first ludicrous idea that their boy might identify as a girl manifested in whatever way. They were listening again when the idea persisted. And maybe it took lots of listening, but the parents decided to listen, to give their child audience, to entertain the idea that they child might have a better understanding of her identity than the parents did. And the parents provided information so that the child could know what that something was. They didn't prolong or put-off a conversation with this child - and possibly saved this child years of emotional agony, years of identity-crisis!

I'm not a parent. I'm not transgendered. I can't pretend to fully understand either. I don't think there's any specific age at which it is a perfect time to discuss identity issues, but I would say there are cues and signs at every age. Cues as to whether there is an issue, signs that the issue needs discussion.

But I know that I sure would have liked parents who listened, not just to what I was saying, but to what I wasn't saying, when I was young. I, too, "knew" when I was very young, but had no outlet to explore it - no one to talk to, no one who was listening.

The result? I spent years pretending to be what I thought everyone else wanted me to be - instead of who I was. My environment as a child presented me with what my parents, their social circle and my school considered "normal," but I knew I was different. With lack of information, it became this guilt, this sense of not-belonging, this sense of being different, this sense of being strange, this sense of being weird... and I was just gay - not dealing with the super-complicated transgender identity-crisis that this young child appears to be confronted with.

5 comments:

  1. I could simply say that you got it right - everything that you said is exactly right and is exactly what I would have wanted said. It just doesn't seem right to give such a short reply to such a significant issue though . . .
    I think that being transgendered is a very difficult concept for most people to grasp because it is like nothing else in their experience. How can most people understand or appreciate how it feels to know, to really KNOW way down and deep inside that you were more or less born in the wrong gender?
    I knew by the age of four that I was different, but much as your other friends have told you, I didn't have the words or the concepts for it.
    I remember at the age of five or so, going to bed at night and praying that God or the Universe would "fix" their mistake and make it right, and that I might wake up as girl.
    I remember all but sobbing when I woke up morning after morning and it hadn't happened . . .
    By the time I was a teenager I had of course figured out what I was, but didn't know there was any way to "fix" it, and so tried to do the logical thing and get on with living the life that was given to me.
    By the time that I was 21, I had a full blown alcohol problem and was on the brink if suicide. Yeah, a lot of people overuse that phrase to the point where you might be inclined to just read past it thinking it an exaggeration, but i give you my word that in this case I am not exaggerating, and I was only weeks away from suicide. I had already made up my mind that I was going to do it, I just hadn't decided HOW yet. Fortunately, I stumbled across someone who would love me despite what I was just before I acted on my decision. . .
    OK, the point of all of that?
    I KNEW at four years old . . .
    I went through my childhood entirely screwed up in my mind and wrapped around the axle because there was no way to resolve what I KNEW I was supposed to be with what I was actually born as.
    As a result of this conflict, I was so miserable with my life that I very nearly ended it before it really got off to much of a start. As I understand it, the suicide rate for the TG is MANY times the average suicide rate, so I guess that I was not unique in this respect.

    It brings joy to my heart that the child in the article you mentioned will never have to know this conflict, and will never have to know that kind of inner misery. She will never have to know what it feels like to have to live as something that she is not.

    Your friend made an interesting comment: "This particular case also begs the question of whether the other children in the school are being treated fairly. Does exposing them to the concept of transgenderism at such an early age force them to process issues which they are not yet culturally or psychologically prepared to fully comprehend?"

    So many thoughts are spinning through my head about this comment that I am having trouble deciding how to express them.
    Why do we send our children to school? We send them to school in order to teach them about the world and to prepare them for entering it. Why would it be inappropriate to expose them to the concept of transgenderism? Especially at that age, we are not talking about sex, we are not talking about a fetish - we are talking about people born to the wrong gender. Why would this be considered inappropriate? By hiding it from children, we perpetuate the concept that it is something wrong, something that SHOULD be hidden.
    If you follow most of the stories regarding school aged transgendered, one thing that seems fairly constant in the stories is that the vast majority of the classmates couldn't care less - it is no big deal to them! This is WONDERFUL as it shows that the majority of the children are open minded and tolerant. The only folks that really seem to have a problem with it are a few narrow minded adults - adults who were probably never exposed to the concept as children and probably know absolutely nothing about what it is to be transgendered. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have expressed what many transgendered people would love to say. Like most, I knew I was 'different' at about 7yrs. old but didn't know what diffent it was. When I was 14yrs. old I read about two who had a 'sex change' from M-F. I knew then just what was different about me. Like others I struggled with alcohol and drugs ruining my parenthood and almost my marriage. Finally, FINALLY at 52yrs. old I transitioned.
    I would have given anything to have had understanding parents when I told them. It was 1968, and understanding transsexualism was yet to come.
    Thanks for writing this post. Many will relate. And I hope some will read and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am moved beyond words. You GET it!

    I am a transgender woman. I knew since I was 4. We don't choose to be this way. Why would ANYONE choose a life of prejudice, hatred, etc? It's like me asking "when did you choose to be a guy/girl?" You didn't.

    Thank you so VERY much for writing this. I'd like to post the link to this entry on my blog as well, if thats ok. http://sophielynne1.blogspot.com/

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sophie, and Stephanie. Feel free to repost. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You provide a good understanding of the fact that very often it takes a lot of time and understanding to grasp things that are confusing and hard to classify.

    I surmise that many people take a long time to understand themselves and others. We all need to keep open minds and recognize that while we may have some grasp of our burdens we may not truly understand the crosses that others have to bear.

    I think that it is particularly hard to understand 'trans'. The general umbrella term 'transgender' has taken hold but thinking that every 'guy in a dress' sees his dressing the same way is like believing the falacy of 'one size fits all pantyhose.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete